Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Picture update

Lest the peas get all the attention, despite the fact that most of them have barely germinated yet, I want to share some photos of the other plants, which are all doing well.  Most immediately exciting are the new arrivals: please welcome the broccoli and bean seedlings!
Romanesco broccoli, 11/1/12
The plants above with the sort of dinky, dark green leaves are broccoli seedlings.  I've never grown broccoli before, but I recognized not to pull these up because they look like all the other brassicas, some of which I've grown (kale in particular).  They haven't germinated to well--only about five of the thirty or so I planted have come up to date.  I'll wait a few days, but I may have to go back and fill in the bald spots in the broccoli patch next week.    
Royalty purple pod bean, 11/1/12
The beans look a little more like real plants, and as a bonus, you can tell they're beans because you can see the halves of the bean as seed leaves.  While they performed well back home, I've had even better success with them here so far--95% of them have germinated, and most of them now have two true leaves.  
Cheyenne bush pumpkin, 11/1/12
The pumpkins, above, are small but mighty.  Of the six I planted, only two germinated, but they're performing well.  They are compact and bushy, which is appropriate given that they are Cheyenne bush pumpkins.
Tomato, 11/1/12 (4 weeks after planting)
The tomatoes are a mixed bag: some are succeeding, and some are struggling.  The one above is the most successful tomato so far.  Two plants are getting big and bushy for their age, about one month old.  At this stage of their lives in New England, they'd still be indoors under banks of grow lights, so I'm impressed with their progress.  The other four plants are smaller, but progressing at an appropriate rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment